Monday, April 11, 2011

Ric-Rac Recieving Blanket Tutorial

I made another ric-rac blanket(as shown HERE and HERE), so I thought I'd throw together a quick tutorial since I had a couple requests for one! It's extremely easy!! What you'll need is:



1 yard of fabric



1 yard of coordinating fleece



a few spools of jumbo coordinating ric rac (I got 3 to be safe, but it will depend on how big you want the blanket to be)



sewing basics



iron/ironing board So start off laying out the fabric, right sides together, and lining up the edges as best you can. trim any edges to make it all even. And then cut down to the size you want. (I cut about 6 inches off so it was slightly closer to an even square. I like my recieving blankets to be like this)



Grab the bottom left corner, and pull it over to the right side so the bottom right corner is lined up to a perfect point (as shown above) Trim the corner, curving it.
You should have a nice curve when you unfold it. This will make it easier for the ric rac.

Fold the blanket in half, lining up the corners. Cut the corner that is lined with the curved corner, using the curve as your guide. Fold blanket in half the other way and cut the other two corners so all four are curved.


Now start laying down your ric rac. Sandwich it between the two fabrics lining up the edge of the ric rac with the edge of the fabric (as shown above)


Pin the ric rac in place. If possible, pin every scallop of ric rac. It's worth it so your ric rac doesn't move when your sewing and it stays nice and even.


When you place the ric rac around the corners, the top of it will bunch a little, but that's okay as long as the bottom of it stays flat and lined up with the edge of the fabric. Especially pin every scallop with the corners!! They will be uneven otherwise.



Also, when you start a new roll of ric rac, over lap the ends about a half inch or so. It makes it less noticable when you turn the blanket right side out.


Sew 1/2 inch from the edge of the fabric, leaving about 6 inches unstitched for turning the blanket right side out.


You don't have to, but I like to make little 1/2 inch cuts on the curved corners. I've done it with out, but it seems to make it less bulky around the edges when you do after you turn it right side out.





Turn your blanket right side out. Now, iron the whole thing flat, especially the edges. When doing the edges, it makes it easier if you pull on the ric rac when ironing, making it flat for you. I like to iron both sides so all the edges are completely flat.


Line up the edges of the opening you did for turning and iron flat. Pin.


Now top stitch around the entire blanket about 1/8" from the edge of the seam.


And you're done!!





Let me know if you have any questions!




If you make this, feel free to add a photo to my flickr group! I'd love to see it!! Plus, you may get featured!!


FOR PERSONAL USE ONY PLEASE!



And can I just tell you how excited I am for when I can do tutorials in my craft room and not off of my dining room table?! It's getting close!! I'll show you updates tomorrow! Happy Monday!!

7 comments:

Just Jaime said...

Thanks so much for this! I was wondering how it was done when I'd seen blankets like this.

Jess said...

i love the ginormous ric rac!

Its Sew For You said...

love this! Gorgeous blanket and great colors!

Camie Rae said...

Thanks for the awesome tutorial! I mentioned you in a post I did about car seat covers where I added ric-rack! Thanks again!!

http://cccraftsnjunk.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-to-make-car-seat-canopy.html

diyingtobedomestic said...

I also used your tutorial to make a blanket - only the second one I've ever made. Thanks for the help! Mine is here: http://diyingtobedomestic.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/minky-is-stinky/

Greg and Diana said...

Thank you for sharing this!! Saw another post of yours on Pinterest and then snooped around and saw this - Pinned it and it is now part of my go-to gifting goodies (my husband is constantly asking for baby gifts for guys at work)!!!

Leslie Anderson said...

What size of ric rac do you use i know it says jumbo but what is the measurement.