Friday, September 21, 2012

Lifestyle changes and a new blog

Hello all!!
So, I haven't been around here in a while. And let me tell you why.
I've been extremely sick for the last little bit and got to a point where I could barely think straight or function normally. I went to the doctor and found out I have Type 1 Diabetes. It's been rough, and a MAJOR life change, but things are just starting to feel a bit more like normal now that I'm on insulin and that my blood sugars are more regular. But it has been a huge change, and I've found all my priorities in life have changed. One hobby that has been put on the back-burner is crafting. My main focus (other then my family) has been getting myself healthy, and learning the diabetic diet and lifestyle. I'm finally in the groove of checking my blood sugar 4+ times a day, counting carbs and injecting insulin after every time I eat (which has been the biggest obstacle), not to mention dealing with the high blood sugars and low blood sugars. But the diet has been a rough one for me. I've always LOVED food; cooking it, eating it, even making it look pretty. But since the diet, it started to ruin that for me. Low carb is a hard one! Almost EVERYTHING has carbs in it! And some of the best foods are extremely high in carbs (rice, bread, potatoes, and of coarse ALL DESSERTS...just to name a few) So it's been a little depressing to be honest.
But then I realized something: I'M A CHEF!!
I've worked in food for a long time, and I can come up with my own low carb recipes that taste great and satisfy cravings! Because honestly, (most of) the ones I've found online haven't been that great, except for a few.
So, I've now been dedicating a lot of time to cooking and experimenting with food.
And I'm EXCITED about what I've been coming up with!
So, I figured, this is going to be such a huge part of my life, and there are so many people out there that are either diabetic, even if only for a short period of time (gestational diabetes), or are trying to lose weight or just be healthy with a low carb/low fat diet. Because really, the low carb diet is how everyone really should be eating!
So, I started a low carb recipe blog, so I can share my recipes with others.
It's Naughty Carbs (as you can see)
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Cinnamon Ice Cream

Onion Rings
Greek Yogurt Pancakes and Maple Syrup
 So come and check it out if you're interested in low carb (or just good food)! These are just a few of the recipes I have on there so far, but there are many more to come! I'm a cooking MACHINE right now.
So I may not be around here very often, but I will still pop in once in a while to share anything that I find the time to create.
Have a great weekend everyone!!

3 comments:

Sharon-The OKI StampQueen said...

Nikki==thoughts and prayers are with you! I KNOW what you are going through! While I am not a diabetic, some years back we discovered my health issues stemmed from food allergies-wheat, corn and soy were the top three followed by two pages of others! Fast forward about 10 years---and I can once again eat corn--wheat will probably always be an issue-BUT---like you, I learned there are options--and I can enjoy things I never thought I could (pizza, bagles, sandwiches, etc.)
Hang in there! Someday it will all be second nature....Blessings, Sharon

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog via your beautiful pom-pom wreath I saw on Pinterest. So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I have a 16 year old nephew who has been dealing with it since he was 3 years old. You might want to check out the link below. I've read several success stories like his, and I met another lady who had similar results when following a plant-based diet. Her A1C was always around 6. When she consumed meat and dairy, her A1C shot up to 12. I know everyone is different, and you have to do what works for you. Just thought I'd share the info. http://www.theplanteater.com/2011/07/14/better-than-normal-type-1-diabetes-and-the-plant-based-diet/

Zealous Girl said...

Have you read 'Wheat Belly' it has some really interesting findings on diabetes. Great blog.